Sunday, February 21, 2010

A Raw Deal

On any given day, over the past twenty-five plus years, I have craved chocolate in some form. Nothing unusual for me. I'll take it as I can get it. However, I am gradually shifting toward a raw food diet and have found the raw treats I make even better than the old sugary confections of years past. Who woulda thunk?

With fresh, raw almonds, raw cocoa, and organic dates, the beginnings of a delectable treat begin; and oh so simply. I merely toss all into my food processor (which has been working out more than me lately), reach in with my hands, and press it into a tight crust with my palm into a shallow bowl or pie plate.

Next up - fresh fruit. I typically take a banana and whatever fresh fruits I have in the house; often blueberries or strawberries. I reserve some of the berries, and once, again, all go into my trusty food processor (I don't bother to rinse out the crust, as what little bit remains, adds a tiny dash of texture to the soon-to-be pie.) Once mixed, I gently stir in chopped or whole berries, depending on their size) into the mix and pour it over the crust.

After as little as an hour in the fridge - sometimes it does not even make it to the fridge - it is ready to eat. With a soothing cup of green tea, it is a little taste of heaven. And all during the process, other than a bit of raw cocoa, I've not thought about, nor missed, my usual chocolate at all.

If you're thinking of switching to a raw - or mostly raw - diet, starting with an occasional dessert of fresh fruits and nuts can be an encouraging, delicious, and healthy way to start! Bon appetite!

No comments: