Saturday, May 1, 2010

The Creation of a new Monster

I am a writer - my name is Mary Godwin - don't worry, that is just my nom de plume. I even made it to IMDB last year with my first credit! I hope to follow with many MANY more from here - that wasn't even getting my toes wet in the ocean of Hollywood. That is why I'm here. I want to blog about the experience of writing a screenplay and selling it.

I'll begin by telling you how I came to choose the name Mary Godwin for my pen name. Do you know who wrote Frankenstein? A young woman, only 18 years old, named Mary Shelley. She was married to the poet Percy Shelley. Before she married Percy, her name was Mary Wolstonecraft. Her mother was also named Mary Wolstonecraft - her mother was also a published author. Mary, the mother, was a feminist who didn't take the name of her husband when she married because she felt it "perpetuated the patriarchal oppression of women in society" to do so.

Mary Wolstonecraft (the mother) died just 10 days after the birth of her daughter. The father, William Godwin, raised the daughter with her mother's name instead of giving her his last name.

Had Mary Wolstonecraft, the mother, taken the name of her husband, Mary Godwin would have been a published author. Had the daughter been given the name of the father instead of the mother's name, Mary Godwin would have once again been a published author. I'm here to see that Mary Godwin is a published author - finally. But, as with all my stories, there is a twist ... this twist I'm afraid you'll have to wait to discover as soon as I know just how much information I should put about myself out there in the blogosphere.

No comments: