Friday, December 16, 2011

getting my blogger-feet wet

I am in my late fifties and, up to very recently, not too interested in computers beyond emailing, googling for information, saving my photos, and for the most part using applications having to do with my work (bookkeeping). Boring, huh? So then, out of boredom and playing around on the computer, I discovered a whole new world. The first time I heard the word "blog" I thought it was a joke, rather cute, but just one of those techie-isms. My thinking was: why would anyone want to write on the computer? Why would I be remotely interested in what people have to say? sordid secrets of their lives, vague opinions, lots of lingo, not that much substance...however, I didn't even realize that half the time when I was googling for information I was reading people's blogs! When I finally understood that, I could see the potential.
I once wrote a blog, a few months ago. Can't recall what I was on about; I checked back regularly to see if the comments were poring in...they were not...and left it there. Recently I wanted to set up a website. Wanting to hurl headlong into that process, I promptly got confused and overwhelmed with information. Then I recalled what a friend of mine told me - she's an astute website designer herself - and that was to simply start blogging. Well here I am again at the basics. I'm a lot more serious and focused now. -- Patricia

No comments: