Saturday, March 19, 2011

Why I want to blog

I like writing creative non-fiction. It gives me a chance to reflect on my life and put things into perspective, while maybe even touching someone else who reads it. Blogging is an opportunity to do that two or three times a week, with writing built around a particular theme, and in a medium that may even build my credentials as a writer should others get to know my blog, like it, and recommend it to others.

I am hoping the Blogging 101 course will teach me the fundamentals as well as the more sophisticated points of blogging so that I can launch into the blogosphere well-prepared with professional training. That way, the learning curve won't be as great, painful, or arduous.

I am also hoping that the course will help move me nearer to my goal of being a social media writing consultant for NGOs or non-profits whose work I may be interested in. Right now, I work as an editor, editing research papers about 20 to 30 hours a week for a major company. Writing for social media seems a wonderful outlet for my creative writing skills, after spending many hours each week improving other people's writing.

So, yes, that is why I want to blog. It's a chance to express myself as a writer, perhaps grow my reputation, and even gain me a new profession in the world of media and publishing.

No comments: