Sunday, February 8, 2009

A new way to keep in touch with old friends

Within a week or two, my children, my pets, and I will be hopping on a plane and flying out of the United States. My husband is anxiously awaiting our arrival in a western European country where we will begin the adventure of a lifetime. I look with longing toward the day that we are reunited. I have some trepidation in leaving what is familiar. I think of those around me that I have grown to love and cherish and know that none of us is guaranteed even a single day more. I have shed tears- of joy at moving forward, of sorrow at leaving loved ones behind, of remembrance for the special moments that I have shared with family and friends, of fear of leaving all that I know.
A friend from church today suggested that I blog as a way to share our lives over the miles with those we leave behind. I feel so truly blessed that I have touched him and that he cares what will happen in our lives. I feel truly blessed that I live in this time of computers, internet, and web logs. I think back often on women of the pioneer days whose husbands would have gone off into the wilderness. If they and their husbands were literate-they may have exchanged letters. These letters might have taken weeks, months, or even years to travel the distance. There would surely not have been room for the little everyday memories. How blessed we are to be able to communicate in an instant if we desire to do so.
God alone knows what is in the future for our family. With a new blog, my friends and family will know where He leads us and how we go about living out this new adventure. Again I say-I am blessed.

No comments: